Monday, April 5, 2010

Awaiting judgement

How did my divorce end up in court? Now that I'm nearing the end of my ordeal, I'll start at the beginning in case it helps anyone else avoid the money sucking, time wasting, humanity crushing disaster that has been my last 30 months.

He's brushing his teeth, getting ready for bed.  After 1 year of couples therapy (our third try), and 6 months of rumors of his infidelity (earnestly rejected each time I gave him the option to come out of the closet), something makes me realize that the phone conversation I interrupted him in earlier that day had to have been with the predator.  I stand in the doorway of our little bathroom and say, "She's the one I've been asking you about.  She's the divorced nurse with 3 little kids."

He glibly responds, mouth full of minty foam, "No, she's just a nurse in my bike group."

I'm a trusting soul.  I've believed every denial so far.  But I'm finally getting it. "You know I can check your cell phone records."

At this, he freezes.  His shoulders droop a bit, and he admits in defeat, "There's no need to check.  There are plenty of calls."

After 28 years together, in that moment I know our marriage was a sham.  The enormity of his deception, not just about this woman, but about who he is as a man washes over me.  And I know I am up against something that I am not equipped to handle.  And so, without hesitating a second I say,

"Then you need to move out."

No comments:

Post a Comment