Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Uh oh.

Soooo, my sister-in-law-to-be is most surprised that her brother has never mentioned the "colorful" family past to his future wife.  But she is quite delighted to divulge the details I've been spared.  I loved her candor instantly, yet why didn't I grasp how much he, in his deceptiveness, suffered by comparison?

I am in the front passenger seat, big brother is driving.  Little sister is behind us, but leaning excitedly into the space between the front seats so we can better hear her over the loud phutt phutt of the old VW engine as it labors over the Grapevine pass.  I take furtive glances to my left, but I watch in vain for a response; he is implacable, facing forward, ramrod straight.  He never once looks at me to gauge my reaction.  In retrospect, it's almost embarrassing to admit that I didn't have the guts to hitchhike back to LA right then and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment